Power Steering Service & Repair in Fredericksburg, VA.
Oftentimes, the driver takes their power steering for granted; however, it is essential for safe driving. Having the hydraulic pump is the power steering that transmits fluids to your car’s steering system and assists you in turning your steering wheel smoothly. Without the power assistance system provided by the power steering, it would be hard to turn your vehicle.
Moreover, there are also dangers of not having a power system serviced; hence there is a need to have power steering regularly serviced when the need arises. The fluid breaks down due to war, heat, and contamination, which can cause the rubber, nylon o-ring, seals, and hoses to slowly deteriorate and possibly start to break. Airport Auto Sales experts provides you essential points regarding power steering service & repair in Fredericksburg, VA. through this content.
Common power steering problems
Oftentimes, as you drive, the heat that is generated can significantly break down your power steering fluid. In return, your wheels can become hard and low to turn without power steering. When this happens, an untoward accident could follow; hence, it is vital to bring your used car to your local auto service shop if you notice any of the following problems:
Experience difficulty on steering. Fighting your steering wheel takes all the fun of driving; however, a malfunctioned steering is clear evidence that your power steering system needs immediate actions.
Creates whining sound when you turn: A whining sound that is created when you turn can be a clear indication that your used car does not have a sufficient power steering fluid. It is vital to fill up enough power steering fluid to make your used car function properly.
A fluid that is leaking excessively: A leaking fluid under the hood of your used car can point to many problems, including engine coolant, but power steering fluid often appears in pinkish or red color.
How to tell if there is a problem with your steering system?
There are various ways to determine if there are underlying problems with your steering system and these are the most common:
- Feel how your steering wheel responds when you are driving. If it feels like spongy, feels jumps, or shimmies, your power steering pump could be failing.
- Check if there are leaks around the pump of your car itself or directly below the power steering pump under your used car. It is noteworthy that the power steering fluid is generally clear but can also turn darker colored, especially when it is dirty. Some manufacturing company offers other colored fluids such as red or green.
- Listen and pay attention if there is an unnecessary noise while making a turn. These sounds may also sound like groaning.
If you notice any of the aforementioned signs, contact Airport Auto sales—Used Car Dealership in Fredericksburg, VA to make an appointment to make sure that you and your loved ones are safe on the road as you travel.
Can I still drive with a damaged power steering system?
Arguably, there is nothing that physically stops you from driving your used car if you have a damaged power steering system, especially a power steering fluid leak. However, once the level drops, your pump runs dry, which causes increased friction and heat that can significantly escalate the possibility of expensive damage. If you need to drive your car without power steering fluid, ensure to get rid of extreme turns either your left or right and replace your fluid as soon as possible.
A power steering fluid leak will not make you stranded on the side of the road in the middle of your travel, but it still needs to take good care of as soon as possible. At the initial sign of a leak, either low level in the reservoir or power steering leak on the ground, stop these leaks before it becomes a major problem afterward.
Signs you need to have your power steering system serviced
If you are bothered and concerned if your power steering might need to be serviced, here are some symptoms to look out for:
- A change in color in the power steering fluid: This might suggest that the fluid begins to oxidize. If it begins to oxidize, you will notice that it is gone from red to gray until it becomes black. Hence, it is now time to change it out with fresh and new fluid.
- The occurrence of bubbles in the power steering fluid: If bubbles are noticeable in your fluid, contact Airport Auto Sales immediately because you may have an air leak that is potentially dangerous in your power steering system.
- Leaky fluid: A leak means a problem because your power steering system merely depends on a high level of steering fluid. It could be caused by a couple of things like a hole in the pipe or a connection that is out of line.
- Strange Noises. If you hear a squeal when turning your steering wheel, you may experience some problems underneath. These noises come from a steering pump or damaged drive belt that is on its last leg.
If you experience any of these power steering problems, do not hesitate to get in touch with Airport Auto Sales—Used Car Dealership in Fredericksburg, VA to schedule an appointment immediately.
How often to service to power steering system?
You should replace your power steering fluid or make the power steering system serviced every four years or after running the used car for 50,000 miles. Airport Auto Sales—Used Car Dealership in Fredericksburg, VA suggests that their power steering fluid be changed if it looks light brown.
Why choose Airport Auto Sales for power steering service and repairs in Fredericksburg, VA?
With over 20 years of experience serving our clients, Airport Auto Sales—Leading Dealers of Used Cars in Fredericksburg, VA can give you the service that you are looking for. Do not hesitate to reach out to our expert team at Airport Auto Sales —Used Cars in Fredericksburg, VA if you have problems or concerns with your power steering. You can also quickly and easily schedule an appointment with us, and we will plan to see you at your most convenient time. We are looking forward to seeing you soon!